Rice University logo

Top blue bar image Anveet's Summer in Cordoba
Just another Rice University Blogs site

Journal Entry #1: Reflecting on the Merits and Ethics of International Service

I strongly believe in the merits of international service and development. With the setting of the sustainable development goals by the UN, international development is making great strides in improving global health, economic growth, and equality. While the importance of these goals cannot be overemphasized, I have learned from our initial Loewenstern sessions that the context of implementation for these goals is just as, if not more, important. As outlined in Cunningham G and Mather, A. From Clients to Citizens: Asset-Based Community Development as a Strategy For Community-Driven Development, the ABCD approach embodies this idea as it emphasizes using local community resources, assets, and strengths to promote development. It promotes mutual understanding and respect between the community and the volunteer as well as sustainable growth and community independence. Committing to service without understanding of the cultural context of the community or the underlying relevant social issues can be ineffective and even harmful (Illich, To Hell with Good Intentions).

This brings up the complex role of social media and its potential abuse in volunteering. On one hand, it can be used to promote awareness of neglected social issues and thereby bring an unseen perspective forward. However, after our Ethics of Photography and Social Media session, I realized that there is tremendous power and privilege inherent in the possession of a camera that sharing a picture/video can lead to the acceptance of a misrepresentation of an issue that is taken out of context. By posting on this blog and in social media about my experience abroad, I want to state that I will be sharing my own perspective on the issues that I will see. This will inevitably involve the lives of others. By making a point to obtain consent to capture and share my perspective, I hope to ethically present what I learn and bring these experiences back to Rice to educate others and to advocate for those communities who cannot for themselves.